Adblue problem - Jaguar XE Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sheepfarmer
  • 1 Post By Dale Rolfe

post #1 of 10 Old 07-09-2016, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
BOS

Adblue problem

I've a 163PS diesel XE and the low DEF came on with the car approx 5 weeks old and with 2200 miles of standard motorway driving in normal mode. A day or two later the 500 mile countdown message appeared 'no engine restart incorrect diesel exhaust fluid detected'. The leasing company doesn't covered the expected 'once between services' top up and the nearest Jaguar dealer quoted £50 for the supply of DIY containers (not sure if it was for one or two). As I've a fuel card I bought 3 * 1.5 litre REDEX containers at £10 each from a Shell garage. That was yesterday and I've since driven about 30 miles, 3 journeys, 1 hour driving and now the car still plans to shut down in 456 miles. Any advice from members would be much appreciated.
post #2 of 10 Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 AM

Garage
I would appreciated it if someone who knows this system could respond.
I have no intention of ever topping my ad-blue tank, and am concerned that the vehicle will stop if i don't.
I have some serious doubts Jaguar would ever make an electronic interlock with this tank level, but am i wrong ?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Got this same message on my XE but I don't think it relates to fluid level. Googled the message and found a Landrover forum that suggested the issue was a software problem curable by a "patch". Must be a warranty job surely.

Mine booked in for Wed and will let you know the outcome

post #4 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 AM

Dealer drained tank and re-filled with no result. Currently they're in discussions with Jaguar who claim it's a new problem.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Rolfe View Post
I would appreciated it if someone who knows this system could respond.
I have no intention of ever topping my ad-blue tank, and am concerned that the vehicle will stop if i don't.
I have some serious doubts Jaguar would ever make an electronic interlock with this tank level, but am i wrong ?
Apparently after due warning of miles left before the event the car will fail to start if you don't refill your ad blue tank.
JaguarXEAdmin likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2016, 04:49 PM

So even if you have some adblue left and it's no completely empty, the XE won't start? Well that's inconvenient, that means you'll always have to keep some in your trunk.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 07:52 AM

Garage
I just went to the local Jaguar dealer having had the same alert on my onboard computer.
The dealer informs me that :
Yes the Car will refuse to start ( it will not shut down ) again after the 500 km countdown expires.
Jaguar are not allowed to disable this feature as it is required under EU and US regulations for all diesels.
The AdBlue tank is 17 litres to fill and lasts approx 20-23000 km.

I bought 16 litres at my local car shop and the special filling hose ( type AdBlue at BASF to see this ) and filled the tank up, and it was no hassle at all and done in about 15 minutes.

No need to keep any in the trunk, as if you fill the tank it lasts a long time ( about 1 lire per 1000 miles ) and even if you get the low alarm ( from 1 litre in the tank ) you still have 1000 miles to sort it out.
I went from alarm to calm in no time when i figured this is no trouble at all, just another one of those routine jobs that have to be done from time to time.
JaguarXEAdmin likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 AM

My Mercedes E350 Blu Tec requires Ad blu and it's really not a problem filling the tank. I found a carton of Ad Blu at Wal Mart and while I forget how much I paid it was probably less than $10. The engine requires very little Ad Blu and it takes very little work to fill the tank, so I consider it well worth the little cost and effort to get the benefits of a great turbo diesel.

I'm on this forum because I'll be ordering an XE diesel in the next couple of weeks so I'm taking advantage of the forum to get some great information about the XE before it arrives.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepfarmer View Post
Dealer drained tank and re-filled with no result. Currently they're in discussions with Jaguar who claim it's a new problem.
Dealer eventually got it sorted (so we thought) but now, about 2500 miles later, the same message re-appears! Can't imagine it's an isolated issue but according to dealer both they and Jaguar are still trying to solve the problem by trial and error and it will take at least a couple of days!

Anyone had a successful conclusion to this problem?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Sheepfarmer, have they diagnosed your problem yet ? I've got my XE Prestige on order and would love to know how this played out before my vehicle arrives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar XE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page