Car cleaning tricks - Jaguar XE Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 01-26-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Car cleaning tricks

Most of the members here owns a car but let me ask you one thing, what are the unusual things you use in order to clean your car?
post #2 of 22 Old 01-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Unusual things.. I stole some of my girlfriends makeup brushes to clean it.. They work great for the vents and little creases and around switches

She wasn't too pleased about it..
post #3 of 22 Old 01-29-2017, 07:47 PM

Mr. Clean magic eraser is actually prety magical when it comes to things off of vinyl and leather. But you have to condition the leather afterwards. Great for those plastic door handles that gets grubby over time.

post #4 of 22 Old 01-30-2017, 03:16 PM

Gotta be careful with that magic eraser though, it's real easy to strip the color off the leather with it and there's no coming back from that.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-02-2017, 10:13 AM

Stainless Steel Cleaner for stovetops.
It comes in a spray can, and it's meant for cleaning the odd stains that won't come off of your steal stove, around the burners, from all the heat and the cooking. It's meant for Stainless Steel, aluminum, chrome and general metals....

But a little daub of this on a paper towel lifts the rust marks from your custom metal license plates, black stains from your tailpipe tips, and perfectly restores your Jaguar metal tread plates from ALL the scuffs from your shoes and those dull water spots you get when it's raining and you open your car door.

Vaseline petroleum jelly.
Even the most expensive Jaguar has some hard plastic trim somewhere around the interior. When you get a scuff or abrasion on this plastic, it's doom. Nothing erases it... but a little touch of vaseline does something to the plastic (maybe because they are both petroleum-based materials)---you can't see the abrasion anymore. The effect is also permanent---use it once, and you're finished.

Tri-Nova Marine Protectant.
This stuff is not meant for cars. It's for boats on the water every day, where the salt air, water, and abuse beat on your vinyl and plastic trim every day.
Comes in a black spray-bottle. You have to re-apply after 4 weeks or so.
Wipe this stuff on all your exterior and interior plastic surfaces. It not only protects the original textured surface of the plastic---but it also has this interesting smell that's, well... kind of pleasant to the girls. So especially use it INSIDE the car. Has interesting results on my girl... the rest of you are on your own.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-02-2017, 02:09 PM

You have me quite interested in using this tri-nova marine protectant... works on the females you say...

Tide-to-go for some interior stains. Heard of a lot of people utilizing it.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamline View Post
You have me quite interested in using this tri-nova marine protectant... works on the females you say...
I started using the Tri Nova in November here in Eastern US. Weather was still good, so in a new car you could definitely smell a scent on this stuff. To me (and I assume any man), it's a slightly sweet smell, not like orange or any candy or fruit scent, but definitely pleasant mixed with the smell of new leather seats right beside the plastic trims.

But she thinks it's MORE than just pleasant. Now that it's winter, and kind of harder to smell scents like this in the car, she keeps smiling and asking "put some on this part... put some on the dashboard... "
The stuff is not expensive to re-order, but... yikes I'm down to 1/3 of a bottle already!

Now I know what made those actors driving the cigarette boats in Miami Vice get so cool. They sprayed their boats with TriNova.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 PM

Miami Vice was a darn good TV show.. heard that Testarossa sold for $1.75 million!

Another tip for cleaning:

Using steel wool to clean stubborn over spray on windows if you don't have a good clean razor.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-05-2017, 01:37 PM

I would be slightly worried about using steel wool, I definitely find it does work amazingly, but you get those hairline scratches everywhere.

Razor method, I love it. Just make sure you have enough lubricant down on there and you keep it at the proper angle and go straight at all times.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-07-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

I didn't expect these things to pop-out but thank you so much guys for these great tips
AvengerTT likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar XE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page