Meidian Surround Sound System - Jaguar XE Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Meidian Surround Sound System

Has anyone got an XE with the Meridian Surround Sound System? My XE is on order (won't be here until March) and it's going to have the upgraded sound system. I've read the post below where the owner was displeased with the standard system, but I'm hoping that the Surrounds system with 825 watts and 17 speakers will be as good as my Mercedes E-350.
post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2017, 10:21 PM

I just got an XE first edition with the 825W Meridian system and to be honest it wasn't even close to the Burrmeister sound system in a C-300 sport that I test drove. If gear sound is what you're going for, I don't think you're going to be impressed. However having said that the sound that the XE makes on accelerating and the thrill it gives you will overcome this lack of great sound. So far it's always put a smile on my face every time I drove it.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 AM

Umm... Well, we REALLU ought to be mindful about saying whether a sound system is "good" or "not nearly as great as" or etc. Iused to be (and still am) a stereo system and Home Theater collector, and people's ears aren't able to objectively tell a "good" from "a better" without some training about acoustical sound.

Until then, every time I catch myself saying "that sound system is better than.." I know I'm being almost entirely subjective, and my subjective ears are likely to be way different from yours.

Not comparing to any personal system I've had in any other brand's car:

Is the standard Non-Meridian system of the XE worth the money? Yes. If you just need the radio, and you play all you stuff on MP3s from an ipod or paired phone on your way to work, it's fine.

If you buy tickets to live performances alot, and you hear differences between a WAV file and an ACC file that you make on usb drives, and you the 11 speaker entry level Meridian is clean, precise, and tight in the XE's cabin. Meridian does not embarass itself in this car.

But the cabin of the XE is very snug ceiling-wise and backseat-wise, so making wide open STEREO magic is hard, even for the basis Meridian.

The 17 speaker Meridian pulls off the magic necessary to give you that rich stereo. I think people expect Meridian to take the extra watts and thump you all over the inside of the car. Sorry, but the English Meridian company isn't into that. The power is used to control the stereo effect and give a feeling of more open, wide stereo in such a snug cabin the XE has.
You won't be "amped up" like I'm sure a BMW or Audi tries to drown you with. The patented Meridian stereo effect is what you're extra money is putting in the car.

Hope this helps. Music really is a key part of the driving experience sooner or later...

post #4 of 6 Old 02-13-2017, 10:31 PM

Garage
Car sound system? The sky is the limit
post #5 of 6 Old 02-28-2017, 04:35 PM

New fellow here. I'm trying to decide if the $2700.00 is worth it for the better Meridian system (Tech Package) Frankly don't care about the bigger nav screen since I end up using Google maps or the other items in the Tech package.. But if the more expensive system sounds dramatically better I'll probably order it.. Opinions?

Oh and does anyone know if when ones phone (iPhone) is connected via blue tooth will Google maps send spoken directions through the cars audio system?

Thanks,
Erik
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 05:35 PM

For the surround system upgrade alone, NO, it is not worth the $2700.00. See my post above in this thread, for my opinion about the differences between the base-Meridian, and the surround-Meridian.
Even if I loved concerts in my car... I couldn't spend that much just to get a "concert" system.
But the bigger screen intouch PRO is coming with a handful of "stand away from the car" control features that some owners adore.. and that helps justify the $2700.00:

Start your car from inside your house...
Map out your NAV journey from a laptop or PC, and have it automatically "loaded" in your car's memory while it's still parked in your garage...
Pre-set your climate temperature inside the car via some future phone app, before you even step into the car...

Not the features I'm interested in, but your $2700.00 is partly paying for those capabilities.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar XE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page