All Season Tires Holding The Jaguar XE Back - Jaguar XE Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 04-06-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

All Season Tires Holding The Jaguar XE Back

Tires definitely makes a difference in a vehicle’s performance and the 2017 Jaguar XE 35t sports sedan is no exception. It may be powered by a 340hp supercharged V-6 engine, but Car And Driver editor Erik Johnson found a discernible difference when the XE 35t was equipped with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires instead of the Pirelli P Zero performance rubbers.

First are the hard numbers. On track the tested AWD XE accelerated from 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds and 100 in 12.3 seconds, which is slower than the P Zero version by 0.3 and 0.4 seconds respectively. Another area where the all seasons lost was in cornering grip as it was reduced to 0.87 g from the performance tires’ 0.93 g. Where the difference in numbers appeared was in braking as the all-seasons needed 170 feet to stop from 70 mph, which is a whole 23 feet more than the 147 feet a XE with P Zeros need.

Aside from the numbers, Johnson found the all-season response to be dull and the vehicle’s mass was lolling a bit around corners. At least the steering feel remains largely unchanged.

If you want to wring out every drop of performance out of the Jaguar XE 35t, then the Pirelli P Zero tires seems to be the way to go.
post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Well... if this wasn't an obvious fact I don't know what is. All seasons will never perform as good as a dedicated summer/winter tire. Ever.

Everyone knows when it comes down to performance, tires are one of, if not the first things to change and it'll be extremely noticeable.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-10-2017, 02:21 AM

If you want convenience, then go for the all season it can be used to all the season. I mean, it's made to adapt to every season of the year unlike the tires that are dedicated for a single season

post #4 of 11 Old 04-10-2017, 03:41 PM

I agree. But if you want to extract the most out of performance throughout the seasons, dedicated tires are the way to go. For example, if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow, you can get away with all-seasons but a dedicated snow tire will perform so much better and will be a good deal safer as well.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-10-2017, 04:45 PM

True, all the way around. Invest in separates, so each has the room to specialize in his art (3-season tires, and winter-season tires PLUS new wheels----because I hear it's better to shrink down to a 17" rim in the snow whenever possible). ...Expensive path, but the only way to reach the envelope.

There ARE a couple of really good All-Season tires out there, but that pro-reviewer wasn't driving anything close to them. If you DO decide on an all-season,... Nokian WRG3. Got wicked reviews as being fun in cold snow, in slush, or Summer dry. That from a review is RARE.
Streamline likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2017, 07:26 AM

Garage
I beg to differ with the recommendation of the Pirellis. The P Zero is indeed a good performance tyre, but when buying new ones for my XE i tried these, and then straight after the Continental sportcontact 5. The continentals suit the XE's strengths perfectly.
I have two sets of rims & tyres for summer and winter use, and swap them for each season. All season tyres are a compromise they simply are not particularly good in either season therefore i find its better to have a set for both seasons to get the most driving joy from your XE.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Rolfe View Post
I beg to differ with the recommendation of the Pirellis. The P Zero is indeed a good performance tyre, but when buying new ones for my XE i tried these, and then straight after the Continental sportcontact 5. The continentals suit the XE's strengths perfectly.
I have two sets of rims & tyres for summer and winter use, and swap them for each season. All season tyres are a compromise they simply are not particularly good in either season therefore i find its better to have a set for both seasons to get the most driving joy from your XE.
In what ways did the Contis work better than the Pirellis? Dry road, wet road, etc.?
post #8 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 01:03 PM

Interesting.. I don't have an XE yet my lease isn't up on my Infiniti Q50 3.7 AWD, but the XE is on my very short list.. My experience has been with three all seasons: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus, BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S.. and the Pirelli P-Zero A/S Plus

My Q50 is around 300hp at the wheels so it's similar in performance to the XE 35 Unless you plan on tracking the car.. or driving way beyond sanity on the streets the P-Zero AS Plus is an amazing tire.. sticks in wet and dry it quiet and smooth. I've never been able to break it loose unless I turn off the nanny aids.. Then it'll slide around if pushed Hard..

Of course the ultimate would be the new MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S for summer and then a set of Nokian or Blizacks for winter..
post #9 of 11 Old 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
Interesting.. I don't have an XE yet my lease isn't up on my Infiniti Q50 3.7 AWD, but the XE is on my very short list.. My experience has been with three all seasons: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus, BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S.. and the Pirelli P-Zero A/S Plus

My Q50 is around 300hp at the wheels so it's similar in performance to the XE 35 Unless you plan on tracking the car.. or driving way beyond sanity on the streets the P-Zero AS Plus is an amazing tire.. sticks in wet and dry it quiet and smooth. I've never been able to break it loose unless I turn off the nanny aids.. Then it'll slide around if pushed Hard..

Of course the ultimate would be the new MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S for summer and then a set of Nokian or Blizacks for winter..
Now that sounds like an a great combination for Summer/Winter.

But that's the other thing, a lot of people aren't going to be driving aggressively or hard enough to really justify needing these high performance tires BUT it's always reassuring to know that you can, and be the best equipped that you can be.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-23-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamline View Post
Now that sounds like an a great combination for Summer/Winter.

But that's the other thing, a lot of people aren't going to be driving aggressively or hard enough to really justify needing these high performance tires BUT it's always reassuring to know that you can, and be the best equipped that you can be.
You said it right there. Not all drivers will drive on a harsh weather or different terrain. Some of them are just going to use it on a normal road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar XE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page