2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kink
  • 1 Post By BJM

post #1 of 9 Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XE 35t

Ok lets talk about something for a minute. Jaguar has decided that for the US market the 3.0L V6 Supercharged XE will be dubbed XE 35t...

Lets break this down. The 35 means NOTHING because the engine size is 3.0 and the T is EXTRA useless because the car is SUPERCHARGED (before you get uppity i know that TECHNICALLY a supercharger is a turbo charger but that pedantic nonsense doesn't fly here)

The only thing I can think of is that the Jag team is so firmly focused on beating the 335i they adopted its nomenclature by mistake...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-ja...ures-detailed/

Kingpin likes this.
post #2 of 9 Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At this point I think that the nomenclature of cars doesn't really try to tell you something about the engine that is in the car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the BMWs don't have names that directly correspond to engines any more.

At this point the names are to sound nice and attract consumers, not provide them with information.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2015, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Horrible move as it relates to naming the model but it can be said for a brand trying to emerge in this market, going after what appear to be the segment leader with a similarly positioned vehicle, they might be setting themselves up right. Still, some originality is needed.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Its hard to be original when you are just combining numbers and letters.

I think that the F-Pace name is a good one. Simple and stands out from the crowd.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
Its hard to be original when you are just combining numbers and letters.

I think that the F-Pace name is a good one. Simple and stands out from the crowd.
You missed the point, it's not about numbers and letters, it's how they used it, they used a name structured just like their competition.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
You missed the point, it's not about numbers and letters, it's how they used it, they used a name structured just like their competition.
I think that non-car people are going to be equally confused by the whole alpha-numeric naming scheme regardless of the exact structure. I see what you are saying, I just don't think it has as big an impact as you think. They'd be confused either way.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 PM
BJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
I think that non-car people are going to be equally confused by the whole alpha-numeric naming scheme regardless of the exact structure. I see what you are saying, I just don't think it has as big an impact as you think. They'd be confused either way.
Not necessarily. Until displacements became detached from nomenclature in the name of marketing congruity model distinction was fairly easy. First initial was class/segment (designated how each company wished) and the second two denoted displacemnt. Letters afterwards would indicate something special, t for turbo s for supercharger, se for special edition etc.

So logically one would expect that XE35t means that the XE has a 3.5L Turbocharged engine... LOL
Kingpin likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-26-2015, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Now all it is for the most part now all it identifies is where the vehicle slots in rather than what about the car it represents. XE 35T with a 3.0 V6 Supercharged....cool story Jaguar.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Frankly I don't care about the naming. Jag can call it whatever they want as long as I like the feel of the drive. Looking forward to driving an XE for the first time -- they aren't available in my area yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar XE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page