Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just got back from a trip to Las Vegas (a reunion with navy buddies, not gambling), which is about 8 1/2 hrs each way. We spent most of our trip on either freeways or multi lane roads with relatively little traffic, so I averaged 63 MPH for the trip. I spent quite a bit of the trip at 70 - 80 MPH with short stretches up to 90 MPH. At the high cruising speed there was no wind noise, the music was great (listening to Siris 60's music), and the car handled beautifully. Going over the Tahatachapi the car held curves at 70 - 75 MPH perfectly and always had plenty of power in reserve. When we got home the dash computer said that I averaged 35.6 MPG and at the speed I was traveling I'm very happy with that average.

The bottom line is this is a very comfortable, great looking economical vehicle that has plenty of power and handles great. Jaguar hit a home run with this car.

Stan

PS this is the XE Presitge TDI with the Meridian Digital Surround Sound System

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a Mercedes E-350 Blu Tec. The Mercedes was like floating down the road. Comfortable, lots of power and rock steady, just not fun. I also have a 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen 6 sp manual TDI, which is quick, fun and comfortable. The Jag kinda fits between the two. Not quite as luxurious as the Mercedes and not quite as quick and nimble as my VW, but a great compromise between the two.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Streamline, I traded the Mercedes in when I bought the Jag. The Jag is primarily my wife's car and it's the only new Jag in this area, so she loves to take it to any official functions to let everyone ooooh and Ahhhhh over it (she's involved in the fringes of local politics). The British Racing Green has some heavy metal flake so it really pops in the sun. I use the VW for daily chores because it gets great fuel mileage (even better than the Jag) and since we live up in the foothills with mostly two lane twisty roads the VW with a standard transmission is even more fun to drive than the Jag, so I usually grab it for most local trips. We've taken two trips to Mexico with the VW (we go down the East Coast of the Baja) and I love taking the VW because even cruising at 70 - 75 MPH I get great fuel mileage and with the rear seats folded down the little sport wagen carries all of our luggage plus a large cooler for bringing home fresh fish and shrimp. My VW is a 2014 and I already have 65,000 miles on it, so it gets well used. Besides, I wouldn't take my Jag to Mexico. Too chancy.

In addition to the cars I have my Nissan Titan for any hauling beyond what my VW hauls (I have a frame mounted hitch on the VW and tow my trailer with my ATV. My friends tow their ATV's with their 3/4 ton trucks. We often tow up over the Sierra Nevada mountains) and I amaze them by staying right on their butt with my little VW, and while they get 8 - 10 MPG I'll get more like 32 MPG.

So the bottom line is that the Jag is used primarily for more formal type functions and the truck is used for heavy hauling. The VW is used for everything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.