Jaguar XE Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I'm not asking you what the XE's IQ is, rather iQ is the name of Jaguars all new aluminum platform that will see its first use in the XE. Although the iQ is all new for Jaguar, elements of its construction are already in use on the newest Range Rovers.

iQ has been confirmed for the XE, but Jaguar is on record saying it will spawn at least 3 additional models. The CX-17 SUV is one and likely wagon and coupe derivatives of the XE.

·
Registered
701 Posts
All aluminum. That seems to be where the industry is headed. This should make for pretty good fuel efficiency right?

Won't it also have some affect on safety ratings, and by extension insurance rates? And pricing for that matter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing I've always found interesting about aluminium is that once it burns it BURNS! All those Ferraris you see as a melted heap of former car all started out as an aluminium space frame.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Aluminum is lighter which is why automakers are using it, but I question if it is amking vehicles less safe. As you said, it burns, and it also isn't quite as strong as steel so its probably less safe in a collision.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Aluminum is lighter which is why automakers are using it, but I question if it is amking vehicles less safe. As you said, it burns, and it also isn't quite as strong as steel so its probably less safe in a collision.
i think it can be just as good as anything else they're using, it might just depend on how they form and build the structures and reinforce them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts