Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
I'm interested in what this Electric Power Assisted Steering will actually do to the feeling of the steering. Is this system similar to the steer-by-wire technology in Infiniti vehicles because I have heard very mixed reviews on that system?
Its similar to a Mazda 3 and every other Electronically Assisted power steering car. Steer by wire is completely different.

We'll see how it feels, I prefer the weight of hydraulic...

· Registered
298 Posts
This worries me a touch

Meanwhile, the front suspension is based on that used in the F-Type, which Jag says delivers “XFR levels of stiffness”. Connected up with the latest electric power-steering, the XE promises “class-leading steering feel”. The new system also allows for active safety kit such as self-parking and active lane-keeping.
I'm buying a saloon car to commute, vacation, deliver the kiddies, I' am not buying a race car, nor do I really want or need those levels of stiffness. One of the reasons I've been off put by BMW's of late, just overtly STIFF. I prefer to keep me fillings in place cheers.

· Registered
298 Posts
You need to drive a car with it then. It's most beneficial in parking lots in the amount of assistance the electric motor gives to you while turning the wheel. It has nothing to do with people having less control. Just a logical feature of electronics now. You wouldn't go back to non power steering wheels now would you?
Agreed, Low speed stuff you get max assist almost to the point of no feeling, At speed assists taper off and you get a much heavier feel to the steering which makes subtle corrections much easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.